Pittsburgh, PA.- The Metropolis of Pittsburgh Clergy-Laity Assembly which convened September 26-28, 2013 at Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church, Pittsburgh, PA. His Eminence Metropolitan Savas delivered a keynote address which focused on the various interconnected levels of our Orthodox Church (parishes, Metropolis, Archdiocese, Patriarchate, and worldwide Church) and how we must step forward to support them just as they strive to support our work locally.
The following committees met to promote and evaluate the ongoing work of the Metropolis and its ministries: Administration, Finance, Greek Education, Religious Education, Stewardship, and Youth.
Ms. Effie Marie Smith of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America presented on the developed Parish Management and Ledger Software that is currently available and being rolled out throughout our Archdiocesan parishes.
Break-out sessions discussing opportunities for Parish Music ministry, Parish archives and histories, and Parish management software were held.
Archon Gerry Clonaris of the Archdiocesan Council presented on the ongoing work and numerous resources of the Archdiocesan Department of Religious Education.
Mr. Jerry Minetos presented on the nature of fundraising within the context of the parish ministries.
The Plenary session of the Assembly:
– Elected Mr. Harry Athanasiou, Ms. Mary Doreza, and Archons Nicholas Chakos, Michael Kusturiss Jr, Nick Lekas, Nicholas Loutsion, H. Steven Poulos, Steve Sellas, and Philip Yamalis to fill 9 seats on the Metropolis Council for the term beginning in the summer of 2014 and concluding in Summer 2016.
– Elected Archons Michael Kusturiss Jr. and Peter Papadakos to fill 2 seats on the Archdiocesan Council for the term coinciding with the above-stated Metropolis Council term.
– Approved a Metropolis Ministries Assessment program titled the “12 + 1 Program” to be implemented in 2014. This program was first endorsed by the Metropolis Council, then approved by both the Stewardship and Finance Committees, before being brought to the Plenary for approval.
– Approved the 2014 Metropolis budget.
– Approved a “First-timers Guide to the Metropolis Clergy-Laity Assembly”
– Sent a resolution to form a task-force to study the issues revolving around the designation of a parish as “non-viable” to the Administration Committee of the 2014 Archdiocesan Clergy-Laity Congress.
– The Assembly also mourned the passing of Mr. Nicholas Sialmas who had come to Pittsburgh to discuss the new Parish Management & Ledger software. May his memory be eternal!